Elderly PV Man Burned in House Fire

An elderly Prescott Valley man was flown to a burn center in Phoenix after sustaining injuries when his bed caught fire.

According to Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority officials, crews were dispatched to the home on Saturday. Upon arrival, they discovered that the man’s caregiver had utilized a fire extinguisher to extinguish the flames. After receiving initial treatment from firefighters at the scene, the man was airlifted by Native Air helicopter to Phoenix.

CAFMA officials suspect that the fire resulted from the elderly man smoking in bed while using oxygen. They emphasize the importance of never smoking in a home where oxygen tanks are in use and to avoid smoking in bed, as mattresses and sheets can readily ignite.